Friday, November 24, 2023

Pinwheel Christmas Trees

My newest projects were inspired by a friend's quilt that was displayed in our guild's booth at the Christmas fair a few weeks ago. This is Martha's Pinwheel Christmas Tree quilt.


For my first attempt, I wanted to get more colors into the design, sort of like the colors of the ornaments on a Christmas tree. I used a bright green print of Christmas tree lights along with scrappy green fabrics for the pinwheel blocks.


I liked the added colors in that version, but decided to make another one that is more like the original, with the background fabric in the pinwheel blocks. Here is my second tree. Both of my versions measure approximately 40" x 48".


Making my first version helped me realize that my favorite thing about this quilt is the airiness of the design with the background included in all of the pinwheels. This second version also includes a cute print of Christmas tree lights, but this time it's the cream background fabric. Click on the photo for a closer look.

I hope to get version #2 layered with batting and quilted up in the next week so that we can enjoy it for the Christmas season this year. I haven't decided what will happen with the other quilt top yet.

Linking up with:
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Peacock Party at Wendy's Quilts and More
Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday (TGIFF) at Slice of Pi Quilts

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

7 comments:

  1. It's amazing how different the trees look, just by the layout of the pinwheels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so fun, Julie! I love the look of each one, but you're right - the cream background gives the tree an airy sort of look. The Christmas lights background is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute trees! Using the background in the pinwheels does give a much more airly look, I can see why you made the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful trees! I too like the airiness of the second design. What fun you are having!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of them are so great! I am impressed that you made two whole versions - but it does help to see what the light backgrounds do. What fun they both are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a fun pattern to try . I agree with your conclusions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your first version but I do agree with the airy feel in the second and original! Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...