Saturday, October 26, 2024

Birthday Blocks Rainbow

One of my 2024 projects for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge has been the weekly Birthday Blocks at Edyta Sitar's Laundry Basket Quilts blog. Each week a new block pattern was posted, and I followed along, making the blocks in the color of the month of the RSC. Half of my blocks were made with a light background and half with dark.


When the RSC got to September and October and moved into neutral colors like black, brown, and light neutrals, I decided to stop making more blocks. I already had 36 blocks made, each finishing at 6", and I knew I'd be able to figure out a way to get a small quilt out of them.


I wanted the quilt to feature the fact that the blocks have two different backgrounds. Unfortunately, that didn't show up as well as expected in my first layout, shown above. The problem was the differing amounts of background fabric in the blocks, especially if the background wasn't at the block's outer edges. My solution was to add
 a 1" finished frame of background to each block, which really emphasizes the contrast of light vs. dark background fabrics. Here are a few of the blocks after framing.





To further emphasize the light/dark backgrounds, I went with a basic checkerboard layout of the blocks. They have all been joined together into a small quilt top that measures approximately 40" x 56". I expect to finish it off with a binding of the dark background fabric.

LBQ Birthday Blocks
40" x 56"

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. 


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

7 comments:

  1. What a cool why to showcase the dark/light blocks! I always struggle with how to set the RSC blocks, your setting really works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great solution! It lets each block shine on it's own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how that is turning out, especially with the emphasis on the dark and light backgrounds. That makes the block designs really shine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing piecer! You're blocks are so straight and points all even. I'm in awe! I love your solution to make the blocks shine individually. It looks great. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingenious design solution. Thank you for sharing the before and after pictures. What fun way way to QAL and participate in the RSC simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant solution to the background challenge, Julie. LOVE the resulting block layout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m in agreement! Genius solution to your dilemma. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...