Thursday, June 27, 2024

Star Pulse QAL

Ever since last November when Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl announced her plans to host a quilt-along for her new Star Pulse pattern, I was intrigued by the design and trying to figure out a color palette that I wanted to use. Yvonne shared plenty of color options for inspiration, but I was hoping to work from my stash, and nothing really spoke to me for this project...until a couple of weeks ago.


Star Pulse quilt pattern, Quilting Jetgirl

The quilt-along started in December, and I followed along with Yvonne's instructions each month, still dreaming about making this quilt. Then inspiration hit when I read about a challenge hosted by the Great Wisconsin Quilt Show. This year's challenge theme is "Black & White Plus One," and the rules are to make a quilt that measures 30" wide by 40" high using only fabrics in black, white, and one additional color. Now that was a color scheme I could make work! I made several passes through my fabric stash, finally settling on this grouping of black and white prints (although I ended up changing the darkest fabric.) My "plus one" fabric is a nearly solid red batik.


The next challenge was adapting the Star Pulse pattern to fit the size requirements. Yvonne's pattern makes a 60" wide quilt that finishes at either 60" or 72" long. Making my units half that size worked perfectly for a 30" wide quilt, and I just had to adjust a little at the top and bottom to get the right length. Once I'd figured out my fabric choices, I was able to piece my mini version of Star Pulse in a weekend. Here's my finished top, followed by a closer look at some of the piecing.


Star Pulse quilt top, 30" x 40"


I had hoped to get my Star Pulse quilt finished by the end of the month and submit it for the quilt show challenge. Unfortunately, the tension assembly on the machine I use for quilting totally came apart and that machine is unusable until I receive the new part. For now I will have to settle for joining the Star Pulse final link-up at Quilting Jetgirl. Thanks so much to Yvonne for her wonderful pattern and a fun quilt-along.

Linking up with:
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
Brag About Your Beauties at From Bolt to Beauty
Star Pulse QAL Final Linkup at Quilting Jetgirl


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

5 comments:

  1. This turned out so cute! And I love how you have adapted the size and did it all in a weekend. I'm sorry about your sewing machine. I hate when my machine is out of order, too. A lovely quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a stunning version and adaptation of the pattern! I love the red as your accent color and the color flow of the black and white prints is superbly done. I'm sorry to hear your tension assembly needs a new part; I hope once it arrives that it is a quick and total fix. I look forward to seeing how you finish this when your machine is ready again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a wonderful color scheme. Your fabric selections worked so well. Sorry you weren't able to finish it for the challenge. Maybe you can find another show to enter it in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fabric pull and what a striking top! I'm so sorry that you weren't able to get it to the finish line to meet the challenge. Darn machine tension. . .I too hope that the part arrives soon and you are back to having a working machine!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great solution. Sorry you missed the show deadline.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...