Saturday, October 15, 2022

Scrappy Rainbow Saturday 10/15/2022

For the first time in several weeks, I have a project to share with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This was a rainbow quilt that I had started almost exactly two years ago. I needed a new hand-stitching project at the time, and decided to try hand piecing some Glorified 9-Patch blocks. Here is one of my first blocks, both from the front and showing the handwork on the back. I made two sets of blocks by hand (yellow and brown) before switching over to machine piecing them.



Our color for October is lime or light green, with light neutrals as an alternate choice. 
I happened to have some partially-completed Glorified 9-Patch blocks in all of those colors. I had made the 9-patch centers late last year, but hadn't added the curved outer sections. Here are the unfinished centers:


and here they are with the backgrounds attached.


After that, all of the blocks were arranged on the design wall to spread out the colors. They all needed to be trimmed down to 6.5" before they could be joined together.


After a couple days of working at this, all of the blocks were stitched together. I decided to add a black and grey fabric as a finishing border.

Glorified 9-Patch, 48" x 48"

Here's a closer look at a few blocks and the border fabric.


I am a little disappointed that the circular designs around the blocks don't show up better. The circles are there, just rather subtle. I realized that using two background fabrics of such different values (very light greys vs. blacks) made the seams between those two colors the strongest contrast in the quilt, and therefore the square blocks are the visual focus rather than the curved seams. I guess that's my lesson from making this quilt. There's always something new to be learned!

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.

Happy quilting! 

Julie in GA

12 comments:

  1. That is turning out to be a very striking quilt design! I do see the circles in it, too. It may be one of those quilts where every time you look at it, something different stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A FANTASTIC QUILT! i see what you mean about the squares being more obvoius than the circles, but it's still a pretty intriguing quilt! congrats on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's an intriguing quilt. I can see the circles. Like Diann says, you see it differently each time you look at it. A chameleon quilt it is. Like a baby blocks design where one minute you see the blocks and the next you see stars. I like it.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the quilting might possibly change the focus back to the circles, Julie. Either way, it's going to be SEW wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blocks are beautiful. And the quilt is gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see the circles. Inspires me to get back to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see circles and it is very pretty together - nice hand work - wow

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work! Your piecing is so precise. I do see the dark circles around the light blocks and the light circles chasing the dark ones making my eyes run all over this beauty. You did an amazing job in my book. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful blocks, and such great colors and contrast. I see the circles and the squares. I always enjoy a quilt that has so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's GORGEOUS, Julie! You picked the perfect border fabric for it as well. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I'm in awe of this quilt. These blocks are beautiful and together are stunning. It's great when a design makes a secondary design like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...