Monday, August 16, 2021

Design Wall Monday 8/16/2021

Last week was one of those times when I had multiple quilting projects that I'd planned to work on, but I got totally distracted by something unplanned. Squirrel! I was digging through a box of leftover pieces and parts from previous quilt projects, and I came across a bag of scraps and partial strip sets from one of my all-time favorite quilts.


This is the Blooming Nine-Patch quilt that I started in a class back in 2000. The quilt was finished in 2001. I call it Volcano Island, envisioning the hot pink and orange fabrics as the center of the volcano, blending out to the cooler colors of the water. I love the way the fabrics blend together and hide the piecing seams. You should be able to click on the photo to enlarge it.

The bag I'd found had some leftover strips of these fabrics, and even a few partial strip sets and several blocks. When I checked my stash, I discovered that I had extra yardage of most of the same fabrics. I knew there wasn't enough to make a big quilt, but I started making more nine-patch blocks with what I had, substituting similar fabrics where necessary. Instead of the usual Blooming Nine-Patch layout, which alternates nine-patch blocks with larger squares, this quilt will be made up of just the nine-patches.



I started at the center of the quilt, but decided to add an extra orange fabric to punch up the color. I tried two different options, shown above, and decided to go with the second choice because it blended in better with the other fabrics. I'm continuing to make more nine-patch blocks, working my way out from that center. It looks like I should be able to make a largish baby quilt from the fabrics I've got here, and I hope to have it all together by the end of the week.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week:
Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

9 comments:

  1. B9P is one of my favorites and your does the best job of blending I've seen. Smart way to use your leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fun pattern, and I can see how that squirrel easily distracted you. I got distracted by a squirrel last week too. And I'm OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt--I just love how one colors merges into another..nice work!
    I can see why it's a favorite...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, this is completely mind-blowing. I have not seen anything like this - how the fabric just melds together to make this show-stopping awesome quilt. I think I can match fabrics and pride myself on achieving gradation but seriously this is so next level!!! Kudos to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project from the left overs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You’re not helping meeeee! I’m trying to resist starting another blooming Ninepatch. This post didn’t help!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous -- both the original and the new one you're making from the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, it was interesting to see the pictures with the two orange options, as I could see how the second version was blending better. I have never made a blooming nine patch quilt. Thanks for sharing, Judy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...