Saturday, May 1, 2021

Scrappy Rainbow Saturday--Week 18. 2021

It's the beginning of a new month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and our new color for May is red. I pulled out some red squares and strips to start laying out two red Homespun blocks yesterday. The pieces for a brighter red block are already cut and sitting next to the sewing machine.


I'm still debating if I need to switch out any of these pieces for more variation in this dark red block so it doesn't all look like one single fabric from a distance. There's one piece in the lower right that seems much brighter than the rest, but I think it's partly because the light was shining directly on it.

The last of my light blue blocks to be finished for April were the bowtie blocks. I'm trying to make one bowtie block every day, and I have been averaging 36 blocks per month so far this year. Here is the light blue collection.


I actually ended up with 38 blocks this month, but one of them is such a pale blue that it barely shows against the background. The other one leans more toward turquoise and will join that group when that color is assigned. Besides, 36 blocks fits much better in a photo.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday.

Julie in GA

14 comments:

  1. Your red block has a lot of variety in it. It will be a lovely block when it is finished. Beautiful blue top on the design wall. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fast! I love the red block. I think the variety is fine and I would leave all the pieces. Even the ones you think are too bright will blend right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the variation of reds in your star. It will also look different with the other colors. Such pretty bowties this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finishing up with blue and heading into RED... nice work, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job already using red! I’m slacking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Mari; you've done a great job with the red color variations. The bow ties look fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does the red block have a name? I really like it! Your blue bowties are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the red block and will have to check out the link. Your blue bow ties are fabulous too! You are FAST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that red block! The background fabric is so perfect for a rainbow quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like homespun block. Maybe you can add a few more bright red logs so the one you have won't be lonely. I've seen several bowtie quilts today and now I want to make one too. (note to self -- be strong finish more of what you have started! Self answered -- don't you have some snowball blocks hanging around in the UFO bin?) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your background fabric for your Star block. And your bow tie blocks are fun too. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bowtie blocks are such fun. It's one of my favorite blocks. The star is looking good. Red is one of those colors that is hard to find "shades" in. Hopefully you found a mix that worked for you. It looks great the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the red block and I think it reads as scrappy reds

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...