Saturday, January 4, 2020

Rainbow Scrap Challenge--Week 1, 2020



Today is the first Saturday of 2020--that means it's time for a new year of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This will be my 8th year of participating in the RSC, ever since 2013. Many thanks to our hostess Angela for all her hard work through those many years! I've never hosted a weekly link-up, but I know that it can be tough to have blog posts prepared every single week. Somehow Angela keeps everything running smoothly, and we all get to enjoy the sharing and inspiration from this amazing challenge. We are starting the year using our light and bright green scraps.

Occasionally I know exactly what I want to make for my new RSC projects, but most years it takes me a little while to figure it out. It's not that I don't have plenty of ideas--I think the problem is too many ideas. It's so hard to narrow down the choices. I'm still considering some options for 2020.

I made some blocks today to try out one possibility. This is called the Square Dance block, and it is the block being used for the Scrap Buster Challenge at Border Creek Station. Their pattern is for 6" blocks, but  I made mine to finish at 4". The photos show four blocks. In the first photo, the lighter side is toward the center; in the second, the darker corners are at center. 




I'm not sure these blocks are really doing it for me. They were very easy to piece, but I don't know that I will continue making more. Back to the drawing board for me!

I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday and with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework on SundayBe sure to check out all of the wonderful projects that everyone is sharing! 

Julie in GA

13 comments:

  1. Oh I like this block--kind of like a TAW one? hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like them - they have great visual appeal.. I wonder how they will look in different colors too??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. It looks like a great way to use up small scraps, to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to "feel" the quilt inspiration. I know your muse will speak. Your work is always beautiful! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the blocks are yummy! Why not keep these for your 1.5 - 2.5” scraps and find a block to do in different sizes (strings, 3+”, etc). That’s the selfish Me talking, because I always love your ideas, so the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these blocks but might do a bunch in one colorway to make into a baby quilt for donation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the block with the darker centers! I don't envy you having to pick an idea for 2020! I think it would take me until the end of the year to do so...But you are a pro at this challenge and I'm sure you'll find the perfect fit for the challenge and for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always make great RSC blocks - I always find them inspiring. I like these blocks. I would give one more color a try and see how you feel about them.

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like them! Definitely a scrap buster. They look like a Double Four Patch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard to settle on just one RSC project, there are so many possibilities. Maybe you'd like the blocks better if you paired two with a complementary color? It might be worth revisiting them when you know what the February color is. Looking forward to seeing what you decide on this year. You always have the coolest RSC projects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the peas thrown in there :) I plan this year to stick to 4 patches and hexagons in the color of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe if dont use 4 greens together and make more scrappy with each months colors you will like it better.i love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The block looks great both ways. It is a good pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...