Saturday, October 10, 2020

Scrappy Rainbow Saturday--Week 41, 2020

I have been participating in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for several years now, ever since 2013. I started out with a single project that year, but by August I had added a hand-stitching project to work on during my train rides to and from work. 

Even though I'm not working anymore, I still like having a regular hand-stitching quilt project in the works. I finished the hand applique on my last one, the Orange Peel Rainbow quilt, a couple months ago and haven't started a new one yet--until a few days ago. In the past I've done English paper piecing and hand applique projects. In the interest of learning something new, I've decided to try hand piecing this time. 

One pattern I've had a long-time interest in making is Glorified Nine-Patch (also known as Improved Nine-Patch.) The curved seams would be a good option for hand piecing. I found a free pattern at American Patchwork and Quilting which included templates for 9" blocks.

Glorified Nine-Patch Wall Hanging

I reduced the block size for my project down to 6" finished blocks. The nine-patch portion is easy to piece by machine, although I could certainly do those by hand too. I made my own templates from the reduced pattern for cutting the curves. This photo shows two 9-patches before trimming, one partially completed block, and my templates.


You might notice that my larger template is missing the seam allowance along one side. I did that so I could mark my stitching lines on the back of the pieces. I'm hoping that with some practice, I will be able to stitch a consistent 1/4" seam without having the lines marked, but that is not the case yet.

I have finished one block at this point and am becoming more comfortable with the stitching. My first block seemed a little puckered after I finished stitching it, but it smoothed out nicely after pressing.

Glorified Nine-Patch, 6" finished size block

If anyone out there has any suggestions for hand piecing, I would love to hear them. I've been using Aurifil 28 weight thread because I have seen that recommended by Jinny Beyer, an expert on hand piecing. I also have her book on hand piecing, which I should pull out as a refresher.

I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday and with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than Housework and Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts on SundayI hope you are all staying well and getting lots of quilting done!

Julie in GA 

15 comments:

  1. Good for you! Have you see Jinny hand piece? She moves the fabric back and forth over the needle, and SO fast. I had a chance to see the back of her 9-11 tribute quilt while it was still just a top. It made me happy to see that the back of her work was just as chaotic as my hand work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project! Kristin Esser has some video tutorials on hand piecing curves from the Book Club Sew along earlier this year. She and Patty from ElmStreetQuilts had some great tips and tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pattern has long been a favorite of mine. Your sunny YELLOW blocks are off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea for a hand-pieced project! Ditto what Deb A said about Kristin and Patty. I also like your way of cutting the template on one edge so you can trace the seam allowance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for trying something new. I tried hand piecing several years ago and got a little frustrated. I figured I would wait until I retired and had a little more time to give it a try again. But I haven't. Maybe when I whittle down all the darned UFOs around here.

    Anyway...looks like you are off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely block, lovely project. Your stitches must be pretty small because the glorious 9-Patch in yellow doesn't show it was hand pieced. Awesome job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fun project for the RSC. You've gotten a good start with that first block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful block! I'm impressed that you are hand piecing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The black looks so great against the yellow fabric. Curved piecing is so much less stressful by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That has always been a favorite block of mine! A great on for hand piecing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous block and beautiful work! Have a great day stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowee Zowee! That is a great block and is going to make an amazing quilt. Look forward to seeing more. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have wanted to do this block for a long time!! I just might need to do it now. Lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful block you’ve stitch, and as usual your colors are so crisp. I look forward to watching this one progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a good start...I can’t share any experience, all my hand work is cross stitch ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...