Monday, December 18, 2023

Design Wall Monday 12/18/2023

It's that "Bonnie Hunter mystery" time of year again. The latest version is called "Indigo Way." As usual, the mystery clues started appearing over Thanksgiving weekend and will continue until sometime in early January. You can find links for all the information at Bonnie's blog HERE.


I was very tempted to join this year's mystery, especially after seeing that Bonnie was using red, white and blue for hers. I generally try to come up with my own set of colors for a mystery just to make my quilt different than the others, but you can't go wrong with RW&B. I also considered switching out the blues to greens for a Christmas quilt.

Thinking about making the mystery in Christmas colors reminded me that I had used similar colors for Bonnie's 2022 mystery, Chilhowie (now available as a PDF pattern.)  I started late on that mystery, made a reduced number of the different parts, then decided I didn't really like how mine was turning out. Maybe it's time to give it another chance.


The photo above shows some of what was finished on Chilhowie earlier this year--one large block plus three smaller blocks waiting to be turned into large blocks. There were also many other units made, plus more pieces cut out. Last week I continued making blocks, ending up with a total of eight small plus the one large block.


The next step in Bonnie's version would be to turn all of those small blocks into large blocks, then add a pieced sashing. 
These blocks already have more gold in them than I would like. Instead, I removed the large block and played with a new layout using already-made red/light HSTs.


I'm still not sure where I'm going with this design. I wish there was more green in there, plus the diagonals don't really work for me. It feels like it's time to move away from the design wall and play with some ideas on the computer instead. Maybe I can come up with a better plan that way. Or maybe it's time to throw in the towel and give these blocks to someone else for finishing.

Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

4 comments:

  1. Bonnie's mysteries are hard to resist if you like piecing. I like your proposed layout with the red HSTs. That's really striking. Hope you can figure out a both forward for those blocks. Happy stitching this week and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your next blocks could just have the highest percentage of green in the blocks and it would look like a 2 block quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really like how you are adapting these for a whole different look. That gold is completely toned down with the addition of the reds in your new sashing plan. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your out-of-the-box thinking. What would the diagonals look like if they alternated a red band with a green band, etc.? What if you turned the blocks on point? Hmmmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...