Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Ironing Board cover

A recent post over at Jo's Country Junction featured Jo's new ironing board cover. She showed a photo of her old cover, and talked about how easy it was to make a new one. I have been needing to make a new cover for some time, but never got around to it until now. Thanks for the inspiration, Jo!

Here is my old cover. It was starting to develop holes in that scorched brown area.



The fabric I used is an old drapery print that I've had for many years. I think it came from a yard sale or a thrift store. I used the old board cover as my pattern, cutting the new fabric about 1" larger all around. I finished off the raw edges on the serger. Then I folded under 1/2" all the way around, wrapping it around a narrow cord and stitching about 1/4" from the folded edge. I cut a small hole at the larger end to pull the cord through so I could tighten it up and tie it off. Here is my crisp and clean new cover.


The print may be a little busier than I might generally choose, but I am glad to use up some of this fabric. It has been hanging around much too long, and I still have quite a few yards left. I also added a layer of Hobbs 80/20 batting because the padding on my board was pretty well worn through. 

I had hoped to enter Jo's Ironing Board Challenge, but it turns out that I am a day too late. (Jo saw my post and added me to the challenge. Best of all, I won a Moda layer cake from Jo!) I'm  happy that she inspired me to finally replace my ratty old cover. It will be a treat to use this new cover.


Julie in GA


4 comments:

  1. Well it looks great...mine is rather busy too but I was choosing fabric I would not miss in a quilt, lol so I get why you picked yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the linky is open til Thursday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new cover looks great! And even better, it came from the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny how long we put up with something old and worn out before finally fixing it. Always feels so good we wonder why it didn't happen sooner. The new cover looks great -- all fresh and clean -- enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...