Sunday, April 26, 2020

Stitching and DeStashing--Week 17, 2020

Working at home has proven to have unexpected challenges. I thought it would be easier because the work projects involve sewing, and I do that at home all the time already. We started out making masks, which were small and very manageable. The repetition was rather dull, but then I contributed some of my own fabrics and the variety made the project more interesting.

Last week we switched over to making gowns for Grady Hospital. We are working on this project along with the Atlanta Opera and Atlanta Ballet costume shops. Those two groups are working out of their shops, but we have to work at home because the arts center is still closed. The gowns are being made from hospital sheets. For me that meant completely rearranging the dining room in order to set up two plastic folding tables to use as a cutting table. I also moved several things around in the sewing room so I could set up my serger and a zigzag machine. My already messy sewing space is now in complete disarray!

All of this has made it harder for me to get much quilting done. I've slowly been making more parts for my revision of the Frolic mystery. Yesterday I powered through the rest of my Square Dance blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The new blocks are the light blue/dark blue combo, and here they are with some of the turquoise/light blue blocks from last month.


I forgot to count those turquoise/light blue blocks last month. Today I am reporting 1.5 yards used for 60 Square Dance blocks in March and April. No new fabric added.

2020 STASH TOTALS
Used last week:                             1.5 yards
Used year to date:                       91.5 yards
Added last week:                           0.0 yards
Added year to date:                     2.75 yards
Net used year to date            88.75 yards



Kate's 15 Minutes to Stitch challenge at Life in Pieces has us tracking how many days each week we get in at least 15 minutes of quilting time. Spending most of the day at the sewing machine making gowns has made it hard for me to go back to the machine after dinner to quilt. I missed a couple days this week, but my totals are still very good.

15 Minute Challenge:  
4/19 - 4/25                  5 of 7 days
2020 Total             110 of 116 days


Check out more stash reports at quiltpaintcreate and join the 15 Minutes to Stitch challenge at Life in Pieces. Many thanks to Donna and to Kate for continuing to host these link-ups!

Happy quilting and stay safe everyone!

Julie in GA

3 comments:

  1. I made some masks but had to call a halt to it I didn't enjoying making them in the least and found the whole thing depressing. Gowns would be even worse but there have been no call for gowns or hats that I have seen some making. I will leave all that to the ones who really want to make them. I made a couple masks for us after I go done with the 60 or so I had made for others. Now they say we should all be wearing masks when out for some time to come so I ordered some - I would rather pay for them then make more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting caught up on the RSC blocks. It's going to be another RSC beauty when it's finished. It would be hard to sew all day on projects, then go back to the sewing machine in the evening. Maybe it's time for a new hand project you can do outside the sewing room so you get a change of scenery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...