Monday, April 24, 2017

Design Wall Monday 4/24/17

One of my current projects is a set of blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge where our assignment for April is to use multicolored fabrics. I pulled out two shoeboxes of 2" strips from close to 20 years ago when I made a couple of watercolor quilts. You can see photos and read more about them in THIS POST. The pattern I chose to use is "Tranquil Treasures" by Evelyn Sloppy from her book Strips and Strings - 16 Sparkling Quilts.

I started at the center with the lightest fabrics and worked my way out. After the first few sets of blocks, I was seriously questioning my decision to use these fabrics for this pattern. This is how it looked at that point.



The RSC quilters were very positive in their comments and encouraged me to continue. Over the past week, I added another, darker round of blocks. There is still one more round to go, and it will be darker still, then pieced setting triangles to finish the edges. I hope I have enough dark multicolor prints!



This photo will give you a closer view of some of the fabrics. Lots of oldies in there! Most of them are not my preferred style of print, and it feels so good to get them out of those shoeboxes.



I am linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Check out all of them for tons of amazing quilting inspiration! 

Julie in GA

8 comments:

  1. What a great job you are doing on these blocks. So, let me get this straight...you make a whole quilt out of the suggested color each month? WOW. You are amazing. I can hardly keep up with 6 blocks of a particular color! I enjoy looking at old fabrics so I can say -- I've had this one, and that one and still have ... such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't make a whole quilt for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every month. Most of the time I make a few blocks in our assigned color each month and end up with enough blocks for one or two rainbow quilts at the end of the year.

      Delete
  2. I love it! I'm so glad you continued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt! I made a few watercolor quilts in my day. This one is gorgeous and a good use of your strips, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is going to be beautiful! I hope you finish it all the way. I think you'll be very happy that you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you kept going, love how it's coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a bit scary when you decide early on that maybe a project isn't going to work. Sticking with this one worked out really, really well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...