Saturday, July 27, 2024

Scrappy Turquoise Saturday

My quilting goal for the past week was to finish making this month's blocks for my various Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects. Our assigned colors for July are all the blue-greens that I love so much: aqua, teal, turquoise, etc. I've had a great time digging through my scraps, but I still have more blocks to make.

The main reason that I didn't get more done for my ongoing RSC quilts was because I was too wrapped up in the new project that I shared in last week's post, the Herringbone quilt. I knew that I might run short of my light sashing fabric, but kept going anyway with the goal of making a baby quilt, and I had just barely enough for that. Seriously, I think my largest leftover scrap of that fabric when I finished measured about 1.25 x 1.5". It looks like solid white in the photos, but it actually has a very pale teal print on white. This is my Herringbone quilt top, followed by some close-ups of the fabrics.

Herringbone quilt top, 33" x 39.5"




One of my favorite things about making scrappy quilts is reminiscing about the various fabrics, where and when I got them, and other quilts they were used in. The photo above is a perfect example. The darker woven-looking print along the right side was a piece that I got at a sale back in 1998, 5 yards for 50 cents/yard. The print at the bottom left corner is also from 1998 and was purchased at the AQS show in Paducah. The bright turquoise fabric at the very center is one that I got in Paducah earlier this year. Despite the wide range of ages and styles, they all work together beautifully!

I didn't think to include a photo of my inspiration for this quilt in my previous post. I've had it for years and it resurfaced on my cutting table recently. This is a first for me--a quilt inspired by the design on a box of Kleenex!


After I finished making the Herringbone quilt top, I had quite a pile of scraps and strips with angled ends laying around on my cutting table. Instead of trimming them down into squares and triangles, I started sewing them together randomly. I was able to piece enough together to make a placemat, which will join the donation pile for Meals on Wheels.


The placemat top is done and has been stitched around the outer edges with some batting and that same print from 1998 for the back. All that's left to do is a little bit of quilting, probably horizontal lines along the piecing seams.


One set of RSC blocks that did get finished this week were the latest Hen & Chicks Sampler blocks. I'm using all batiks for these blocks, which will finish at 3" and 6".


I still have two sets of RSC blocks that haven't been made yet this month, the Laundry Basket Quilts Birthday Blocks and a set of Terry blocks. I will try to make a start on those later today. It's feeling like they might continue over into August.

Be sure to check out all of the wonderful scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge every Saturday and Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on Sunday. I'm also linking up with the Table Scraps Challenge at The Joyful Quilter.


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA

12 comments:

  1. Your Herring Bone quilt is fabulous! Those teals all work so well together and that almost white makes it look so crisp. Hope you get in some serious stitching time on your remaining RSC blocks today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't fun to recall all the adventures and quilts that led to the purchase of various fabrics. I'm impressed you can recall the where and when of so many of your fabrics.

    It is one thing to see a Kleenex box pattern, but quite another to think, "now that would make a good quilt and make it." The Kleenex box pattern had strong graphic appeal. You fabric choices brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What! You made that quilt with no pattern!? From looking at a Kleenex box!? I’m impressed, really impressed! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Herringbone is fabulous! And I love that you used the Kleenex box for inspiration. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some of that dark woven-looking fabric! One of the reasons I like seeing close-ups of other people's scrappy quilts is to spot the fabrics I recognise from my own stash!
    Megan
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to make use of that angled off-cuts, Julie! Thanks for linking up with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The herringbone quilt is really awesome! I never think to make placemats for Meals On Wheels. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow -- love the herringbone quilt inspired by a box of Kleenex. I'm going to take a better look at my tissue boxes to see if anything will inspire me. Great use of the left over strips. You've had a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your herringbone quilt! Do you have a favorite pattern or tutorial for herringbone you could recommend? Thanks, Beth in AL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No pattern to recommend because I didn't use one. I figured it out on my own, which included some mistakes along the way.

      Delete
  10. Julie, I absolutely love your herringbone quilt- both design and colours. And extra kudos for sorting out the pattern yourself. Beautifully done! Leftover table scraps are a real bonus.
    Jane in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tissue boxes -- yes! We buy the Aldi brand with such interesting graphics. Your herringbones are wonderful! And, yes, it's fun to recognize and remember specific fabrics (as many as those you have no clue how you acquired).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...