Monday, October 30, 2023

Shirting Sample Fabrics

Last week seemed especially unproductive in the quilting room, after multiple weeks of pushing to finish projects for the guild Christmas market. I spent some time cleaning up a bit and struggled to figure out what project to work on next.

My clean-up efforts revealed some treasures that inspired me to try out some new ideas. Check out all of these beautiful fabrics. (Note: click on any of the photos to get a closer look.)


The pieces shown are all shirting fabrics from a sample book purchased in an antique mall. I've had them for at least 20 years, maybe closer to 25. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of when the fabrics were made. I'm guessing they might be from the 1950's at the latest, maybe even earlier. Can't you imagine someone in a tailor's shop choosing which fabrics to use for his new shirts?


The fabrics in the sample book shown above each measure 7.75" x 21", and there are about 60 pieces in that book. I also have three smaller sample books, with 45 - 50 pieces per book that measure about 5.25" x 15" each. By my calculations, that comes to a total of close to 15 yards of fabric!

The question is what to make with these beautiful fabrics. I decided it was time to stop debating and just give it a try. My first attempt was Uneven 9-Patch blocks, aka Puss in the Corner.


I like the simplicity of the blocks with these fabrics, but wonder if there needs to be more contrast. Everything sort of mushes together. Maybe I should add some solids? I pulled some out to audition with the blocks.


After choosing the solid options, I made a couple of star blocks with solid backgrounds. The darker blue seems much too dark with all of the softer colors, but I like the lighter blue.


I ended up making some more blue blocks, then packed everything back into the bin for now. The blocks seem okay to me, but I was hoping for something that got me really excited rather than just okay. I'll wait for some new inspiration, then try again another day.


Check out what other quilters are working on this week at Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts and at Monday Musings at Songbird Designs. 

Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

7 comments:

  1. The light blue star block looks great in the mix. I think you're on the right track with adding some solids to the mix like that. Those old shirtings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Those fabrics look so delicate and cool. Looking forward to seeing how this project comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These fabrics would be perfect for a low volume quilt (which I admire but have trouble making) with all one color per quilt or all of the colors mixed together. You just need to divide them into lights and darks and make any number of different blocks or all the same block. It will resemble an old faded favorite quilt and everyone will love it. It's a hard style to make when you are used to higher contrast, but definitely worth the time to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure! I don't think I could bear to use them but what you create will honor the original intent: fabric is meant to be used! And that reminds me of a book -- The Dress Diary, by Kate Strasdin. (I posted my review last week.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Wanda, I find the original blocks very soothing all together. You have picked some nice solids to go-with, if that is the route you choose to take.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your last photo, of the blue blocks with the star in the center.... I'm not a huge fan of blue but those blocks together look so peaceful, just right for a summer quilt (imho). What wonderful sample books! Lucky you to have found them. It's great that the pieces of fabric are large enough to be useful other than just as samples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These blocks are really soothing with their low volume look!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...