Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Boston Fiesta Quilt Finished!

It's amazing sometimes what a difference a deadline can make. My Boston Fiesta quilt, which I've entered into a local quilt show next week, is finally completely finished!


Boston Fiesta, 60" x 74"

The journey began in 2005, when I bought all the fabrics for this quilt in Boston. I made some samples at that time to figure out my pattern, then began piecing blocks. The block pattern is very simple, a variation on a quarter log cabin, but it starts with a rectangle instead of a square. The finished size of my blocks is 7". 

The block below is one that I made last week because I always get questions about this pattern when I show photos of the quilt. Unfortunately, I made this block backwards of the blocks in the quilt. The key to this quilt's design is that all of the blocks are exactly the same--you can't have half of them facing one way and half the other.


The block below is one of the blocks in the finished quilt. As you can see, the dark green rectangle is at the bottom left rather than bottom right as shown in the above photo. Either way will work, you just need to make all blocks the same. The fabrics colors are more true in the photo above.


Back to the history of this quilt--blocks started in 2005, then set aside. They were pulled out again late in 2014 and the rest of the blocks were made, a total of 80 blocks. By May of 2015, the blocks had all been joined together and the borders added. Then it sat around for a couple years before being long-arm quilted. Below you can see the backing fabric for the quilt.


That backing fabric gave my long-arm quilter some trouble. I didn't realize when I bought the fabric that it had some stretch in it. I'm glad she persevered, because I love how the backing looks! 

Finishing this quilt was my One Monthly Goal for May. The binding had previously been attached to the front and needed to be hand stitched to the back. I finished that, plus added the hanging sleeve and label. One Monthly Goal has been met!



Linking up with:
Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts
One Monthly Goal at Elm Creek Quilts


Happy quilting everyone!

Julie in GA 

3 comments:

  1. This turned out beautifully! It has a lot of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how some secondary blocks jump right out at you. Well, they jump out at me maybe not for you. And I'm glad you showed the block up close. At first I thought that striped fabric was lots of itty bitty pieces sewn together. Congrats on a fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it when you have deadlines!!
    that is a fantastic quilt - and how fun the differences that the rectangle makes!!! I love it
    and your backing!! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...