Monday, July 9, 2018

Moda Blockheads and a QOV Project

The recent July 4th holiday inspired me to pull out my red, white & blue Moda Blockheads blocks. I began making these blocks over a year ago, but they get pulled out only occasionally. Last week I was able to piece five new blocks, bringing my total to about 30. These blocks will finish at 6".


Moda Blockheads blocks, patterns available at the Moda blog

This was the most challenging block of the group. Keep in mind that the block finishes at 6"--that light blue star at the center measures only 2" square, and the points of the star are 1/2" triangles. The block is called Winged Star, and it was designed by Lisa Bongean. 



One design that I especially liked from the new batch was the block at the center in the first photo. It is called Double Delight Star, designed by Lynne Hagmeier of Kansas Troubles Quilters. I liked it so much that I decided to make a larger version, scaling the block up to 12" finished. Here you can see how the two different sizes look together.


I love the double star block, and my musician husband liked the white fabric with red and blue music designs. He suggested that this fabric would make a perfect Quilt of Valor for a veteran who is also a musician. That was all the push I needed to get started on a new project!


Eight blocks have been completed so far. My plan is to make blocks with red stars and blue around the outside, and an equal number of blue stars with red frames. I will alternate the two different color versions of the blocks. 30 blocks should be enough for a good size QOV, even without sashing or borders.

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag.  Be sure to check out all of the wonderful projects that everyone is sharing! 


Julie in GA

7 comments:

  1. Love your red white and blue stars. I keep thinking I would make one, but don't seem to get to it. Great pattern, too. I have been working on my Blockheads 1 trying to finish up the last 8 of them. Great piecing. I found the blogs by the designers to be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great block - especially enlarged. Your hubby is right someone will appreciate the mix of patriotic and music. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want to hear something funny? I picked up a few red, white, & blue fabrics to make the Moda Blockheads II blocks! Obviously, great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful QOV it will be. The star is so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a great start on your QOV. Hope you get in more stitching time this week. Though since there is no holiday this week, it's hard to find time to be that productive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't they all gorgeous! I have to say I love the Winged Star probably because of its size!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...