Monday, October 2, 2017

Design Wall Monday 10/2/17

My latest hand-stitching project has been appliquing down my Dresden Stars blocks to the background squares. This quilt project was started in a class with Edyta Sitar in the summer of 2013. I have worked on it sporadically, and had all the Dresden piecing done quite awhile ago. When I needed a new project to stitch while riding the train to work, this was the one I pulled out. So far I have the outer points of four blocks stitched to the background, one partially done, and three left to go. You can see them here with some of my planned setting fabrics.


One thing I am uncertain about is the best way to finish the centers of the blocks. It seems as though all the seam allowances from the Dresden petals and star points would be lumpy under the center circle. 



This center block has a layer of flannel basted inside the blue circle, but I'm not sure I like the thickness of it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Check out all of them for tons of amazing quilting inspiration! 

Julie in GA

7 comments:

  1. Oh that is looking mighty awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is stunning! I have no ideas for your center but hoping someone has a solution for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Dresdens! Like your scrappy colors,too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I wish I could do hand work like this! It would certainly fill some time in on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresdens are looking great! Any that I've seen done this way have just used a single layer of fabric as the centre circle But I hear what you say about the lumpiness underneath. Maybe it's taken care of in the quilting process?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fabric you have chosen for your setting triangles and border is amazing. It really sets the dresden blocks off well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks! Love the fabrics you've got lined up to finish off this project. Sorry no help on your delema with the center of the Dresden blocks. Hopefully you can get that all worked out soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...