Saturday, July 22, 2017

Scrappy Dilemma

After finishing the 10 blue Scrappy Trips blocks last weekend, I put them up on the design wall along with 10 of the red blocks I made in March for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I tried a couple of different layouts, but this one seemed to work the best (although there is one blue block turned the wrong way.

Scrappy Trips Around the World
15" blocks made from 3" strips
pattern by Bonnie Hunter

My plan was to use the red and the blue blocks together to make a Quilt of Valor, but I'm not convinced that they look right combined in the same quilt. The reds are so bright and intense, making the blues look rather washed out. I'm thinking that I might save the blue blocks for another quilt, maybe combining them with some softer greens and purples. I can still make a QOV from all the red blocks I made earlier. Here's the whole group of red.


I haven't committed to either plan just yet and would be happy to hear your opinions or other ideas. One of the best things about blogging is getting feedback and inspiration from so many other wonderful quilters!

I am linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday and at Oh Scrap! over at Quilting is more fun than Housework on SundayBe sure to check out all of the wonderful projects that everyone is sharing! 


Julie in GA

15 comments:

  1. From the photos both quilt layouts are lovely. However, I do like the bargello effect with all the reds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the blue and red together! :) I like the bargello arrangement of the reds on their own as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like all those reds together--they really sing...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both your layouts! (Frankly, I think I'd spend days just laying out blocks in differing configurations. Such pretty toys to play with!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like the blue and red together. We all have our preferences and see things in our own way, so please yourself - both layouts are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the blue and red together. I think if you add a star border to that quilt it would really make the colors sing. A white background with a red or blue maverick star. Make them 9 patch blocks which would give you a quilt that's a nice twin, 75"x 90". Just a thought. But both layouts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe group the blue together to make a fields and furrow type layout. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer the red ones on their own - could you try some blues in the middle and red on the outer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. No help here - I love them both! So fun to just play with the blocks and come up with different layouts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like them both but it seems red/blue needs something more while the red stands alone nicely by itself. Wonderful that you are making Quilt of Valor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the two colors look great together. Maybe try a white inner border that runs edge to edge (so the math works). You wouldn't need much. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the red and blue layout much better than apart. You could put a white border around the blocks with four patch cornerstones to continue the 'chain' effect if you wanted to separate the reds and blues but I love them together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love both of them but make yourself happy with them. that is what it is about isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...