Saturday, January 31, 2015

Lovin' those Scrappy Blues

I got off to a slow start with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2015, but ended up being very productive for the month of January. Our color for the month was blue. Here are all the finished blocks for my new projects so far. On the left are the RSC Circles, my current hand stitching project. My leader-and-ender project, and one of my all-time favorite block patterns,  is the bowtie. I am hoping to make 30 - 40 each month. On the right is a collection of 4-patch blocks made from 2-1/2 inch squares. These will probably end up becoming 16-patch stars.




Seeing all of my scrappy blue blocks up on the design wall today really reminded me why I love scrap quilts. There's nothing better than seeing the variety of fabrics that have been collected through the years.

I have also been working on UFOs that feature blue. I finished the top of a QOV 1/4 Log Cabin quilt, and also pieced a back for it. I showed those in last week's post. This week I pulled out another old UFO, my Dutch Tiles quilt. My sister and I took a class together in 2002, and that is when I started this quilt. I finished making the last few blocks this week and have been joining blocks together into rows. Soon I will begin the slow, zig-zagging seams that join the rows into a quilt top. This photo shows 3 rows of blocks; there will be a total of 7 rows.




Our color for February is pink, and I have started cutting pink squares to become bowties, but haven't gotten any sewn up yet. I still need to cut some pink circles to applique, and I will also choose one or more UFOs in pink to work on after I finish the Dutch Tiles quilt.

Check out all of the terrific scrappy projects at the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. On Sunday I will also link up with Oh Scrap! at Quilting is more fun than housework.



Julie in GA

19 comments:

  1. Love all the blue blocks and that Dutch tile quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blue blocks and wonderful use of blues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your blue projects, Julie, especially those Dutch tile blocks. Blue and brown go so well together! I invite you to link to WIPs Be Gone to show all your great progress. Thanks for sharing. Off to find some pinks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, those are ALL fabulous. Where would we be without those WIP...no cannot imagine a blank space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a Dutch Tile. Drool...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blue bow ties. I made a 12 of the 16 for the Itty Bitty Challenge at the blog for QuiltMaker... I don't remember the name of the blog. Sorry. I still have today to finish the rest of them. They finish at 3". I like them so much that I think I'll just continue to make them. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun!! Those are great blues !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty blue fabrics and blocks. Love the Dutch tiles. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of blue scraps, but oh so pretty. I love your Dutch Tiles blocks. You've been making a lot of progress on emptying out those scrap bins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great collection of blue projects here, love the RSC circles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Dutch Tiles are gorgeous! On to the pinks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at all that lovely blue scrappiness. Everything looks - well blue and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea to work on your UFOs that are the month's color! LOVE the Dutch Tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your blog name caught my eye - I am in GA also! LOVE all these blues and the colors you have matched them up with, very nice! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I hsould have been in this Rainbow Scrap thingamajig because I made 2 quilts in January with mainly blues! Who knew. But you can't join everything, much as one would like to...I am in LOVE with your blue hand appliquéd circles on the black and white squares--!!! Reminds me of a similar project I've had on the go for, cough, centuries, but using appliquéd hearts!The Dutch Tiles quilt is so intricate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blue blocks. Dutch Tiles is a beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful blues! And I could stare at the Dutch Tiles for hours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the blue blocks on your design wall but that Dutch Tile quilt is a show stopper! Thanks for sharing on Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the Bow Ties with tan/cream at first sight, but the Dutch Tiles took my breath away ... just awesome!
    Kathy T. in Tampa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...