Sunday, January 6, 2019

Stitching and De-Stashing: Week 1, 2019

The beginning of a new year means it's time to reset all the numbers for my quilt tracking. It feels good to begin again with a clean slate, although last year's numbers ended well. 

Kate's 15 Minutes to Stitch challenge at Life in Pieces has us keep track of how many days each week we are able to spend at least 15 minutes quilting. I ended 2018 with 352 out of 365 days of quilting time, for a 96.4% success rate. It's clear that my quilting time is very important to my sanity, even though I didn't end up finishing many quilts in 2018. I had 3 finished quilts for the year, all of them small sizes, and 10 finished quilt tops. Finishing more quilts is a top priority for this year.


The first week of 2019 included time for quilting every single day. I have gotten back into the routine of spending some time in the sewing room after dinner most evenings, plus I am continuing my hand stitching on the morning commute.
15 Minute Challenge:  
1/1 - 1/5          5 of 5 days
2019 Total        5 of 5 days


Under the category of "True Confessions", my final stash report for 2018 ended up being a lot closer to even than I reported last week. Just hours after posting my stash report a week ago, I made a trip to JoAnn's and to a local quilt store, all in search of batting, backing fabrics (and bargains!) I ended up buying 5 different fabrics to use as quilt backs.


The two fabrics on the left end are extra wide backing fabrics. Three of the fabrics (the grey dots, the blue dots, and the adorable giraffes) are flannels, my favorite thing to use to back kid's quilts and throw quilts. I bought a total of 14.5 yards, but am counting the wide fabrics as double yardage. Despite the large increase, I was able to meet my goal of using more fabric than I added for the year. Here are my final stash numbers for 2018:

Used in 2018:                 74.875 yards
Added in 2018:                   70.0 yards
Net used in 2018:          4.875 yards

My stash goals tend to stay the same every year: use at least 100 yards and use more stash fabric than I add. Maybe I will come closer to that 100 yard goal this year! I'm off to a slow start, having used 3/4 yard for a variety of blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The newest additions were a batch of Rolling 9-Patch blocks that I made last night. I like the way they look together on the diagonal.


2019 STASH TOTALS
Used last week:                          .75 yards
Used year to date:                       .75 yards
Added last week:                         0.0 yards
Added year to date:                     0.0 yards
Net used year to date:             .75 yards


Check out more stash reports at quiltpaintcreate and join the 15 Minutes to Stitch challenge at Life in Pieces. 

Happy quilting everyone!


Julie in GA

5 comments:

  1. You did so well on finding time to stitch each day. Maybe you didn't reach your desired goal for fabric out, but at least you used more than you bought. Hope 2019 is just as good for you on both fronts. Thanks for being such a constant contributor to the 15 minutes to stitch linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying the 15 minute challenge this year. There were too many days I slacked off and didn't sew or knit. Maybe this year I will be more productive with my time. Lovely backings you got, they will get used up before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! 100% this week. I really like that colorful fabric - second from the right, and that is a really pretty block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh love the rolling nine patches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that block, and don't recall seeing it ever before. Thanks! I have a lot of nine patches to use up, and this could be a way to do it. Congratulations on using stash and sewing daily - an omen for 2019!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...