Monday, November 5, 2018

Flying Dutchman Blocks

Over the weekend I pulled out some blocks that were started about a year ago.   These are a group of blocks that I started making last fall when my musician husband was playing in the orchestra for a production of the opera "The Flying Dutchman."  Dutchman's Puzzle or Flying Dutchman are two of the names used for some of these block patterns.


Dutchman's Puzzle/Flying Dutchman block variations

The blocks in the top and bottom rows finish at 8", and the middle row has 12" blocks. I have no specific plan for where I'm going with these blocks or how big a quilt they will become. For now I'm just enjoying playing with the colors and different pattern variations. I love the spinning motion in these designs!



One of the blocks was made twice because the first attempt (on the left) was spinning in the opposite direction of all the other blocks. Naturally, it was one of the most difficult blocks of the whole group. Those little flying geese at the center measure only 1" x 2"!

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Be sure to check out all of the wonderful projects that everyone is sharing! 


Julie in GA

6 comments:

  1. Those blocks are very neat! Love them! I may have to give them a try for RSC. The variations are great, especially the 8”!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize there were that many spinning blocks -- basically based on the Dutchman's Puzzle. You've done a great job with it... Is it going into retirement again or do you plan to finish it now? Or are there some more interesting borders being considered?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for the wrong-direction-spinner .... there's one in every crowd! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a pretty quilt - I didn't even see the one going the wrong way ( but I go backwards all the time so there is that) LOVE the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Flying Dutchman quilt sampler is so pretty! Reminds me of Haydn's musical compositions where he starts with a theme and morphs into variations on the theme. Time to add some dark brown sashing and finish this baby. Put that extra block on the back and Voila! you have finished a UFO. Sandy at sewhigh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you mixed the block sizes. Congrats on figuring out how to use how all of them in one project.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...