Friday, July 31, 2015

Curves & Cornerstones top finished!

One of my major quilting goals for this year has been to clear out some of the old UFO projects that have been hanging around. There are some that don't appeal to me anymore, and those need to get passed on to someone else or thrown out, but there are others that I still like very much. In most cases I got stuck because I couldn't make up my mind what direction to go and I didn't want to mess up and waste all the time and the fabric that had gone into the project up to that point.

The latest UFO to make an appearance is my Curves and Cornerstone quilt. This is my oldest UFO, dating back to a class I took in 1996! You can read more about the history of this project in THIS POST.

Over the past 10 days or so, I made an additional 12 blocks for this quilt, taking it from a square piece to rectangular. It now measures approximately 60" x 80", perfect for a throw quilt. I am so excited to have this quilt top together and ready to be quilted!

Curves and Cornerstones
59" x 79"

I had run out of two of my original fabrics for this quilt and had to find substitutes for them in order to make the extra blocks. Here is a closer photo that shows the fabrics better. The upper row of blocks is all original fabrics, and the lower row has the two replacements, one red and one white. I think they look pretty good in there.


I even pieced the back right away too. Not too difficult since it was only one long seam down the center, although I did match up the print.


It feels so good to get another UFO to this stage. I believe this is the 6th or 7th UFO to become a top so far this year. The pile of tops and backs ready to be quilted has gotten rather large. One of these days I will have to find someone to do some long-arm quilting for me and decide which quilt to have finished first.

I am linking up to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader's Garden, and Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

I am also trying to help spread the news of a new linky party. Krista is hosting a quilty version of Throwback Thursday. Go to her blog on Thursdays to link up a post showing some of your early quilt projects (maybe pre-blog quilts?) and see other posts of quilts from the past. Yesterday I shared photos of my first quilt, made in 1995. You can see my post HERE, and join in on the fun at Krista's blog next Thursday.

Julie in GA

4 comments:

  1. That's a really snazzy log cabin variation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of matching the new fabrics to the old, you can't tell that the blocks weren't all made at the same time. It's a gorgeous quilt. Congrats on getting one more closer to finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BIG CONGRATS TO YOU FOR FINISHING YOUR UFO!! It's beautiful and you did a great job of integrating the new fabrics in. Love your backing fabric too. YEA!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a gorgeous pattern, and well done you for finally finishing it, it must feel very freeing after having it lurk for so long!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...