Sunday, August 13, 2017

Return of the Rings

One of the projects I started last year as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge was Ring Cycles, a pattern by Lessa Siegele that is available on Craftsy. Here is a photo of one of the versions included with the pattern. I love the circular movement of this design.


Ring Cycles, pattern by Lessa Siegele, available on Craftsy

The design is a variation of the Jack's Chain pattern made from nine-patch blocks combined with hexagons and 60-degree triangles to create the circular patterns. Last year I made around 200 9-patch blocks and 50 or so 8-patch versions of the blocks. That was the easy part--when I started joining the blocks to the hexagons and triangles, I discovered that joining the parts together is a much slower process. I got frustrated by it and tucked everything away in a box.



 A couple weeks ago, a friend showed me some sets of Marti Michell's Perfect Patchwork Templates that she was using. One of the sets was for hexagons and triangles with 3" finished sides, the exact size I need for this project. The templates have holes at the corners that work great for marking the ends of seams. Those marks let me know where I need to stop and backstitch at the beginning and end of every seam, making my seams come out much more accurately. That was exactly what I needed to get back on track with this project.

Previously, I had four of the hexagon units constructed. After working on more parts for almost a week, I managed to complete 10 more hexagon units and a few of the partial side units. I haven't decided which way I will orient the rows. I can either end up with a straight column of blocks running top to bottom like the first photo below, or the straight row could run horizontally like the second photo. That decision won't happen anytime soon. For now I will continue making the different units needed for the design. The photos show less than half of the total number of blocks for my quilt.


Vertical rows
Horizontal rows

I am linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Check out all of them for tons of amazing quilting inspiration! 

Julie in GA

17 comments:

  1. are you machine piecing the triangles and hexagons pieces? really love the background and the blues. I have this pattern in my 'favourites' at craftsy but a bit scared of Y seams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love where this is going! I have wanted to make Jack's Chain for years, even have the 9Ps made, but was stymied by the construction. Nice to know there are templates that could help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see this project again! Good luck with your stitching plans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW this is going to be gorgeous--what a lot of work and point matchings...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love what you did to the nine patches

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this design! Your quilt is beautiful, lovely fabrics. Someday I want to make a Jacks Chain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Just wow. This quilt will be a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s gorgeous!! That quilt is on my want to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's going to be just amazing! I'm so glad you found some templates that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I have been wanting to make this pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is an amazing quilt pattern and you have done a great job! Looks like lots of inset seams to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful to have the right tool. Your quilt is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another project with a lot of "WOW" factor. Finding the right tool makes such a huge difference. Looking forward to seeing this one finished no matter which orientation you choose. Both look great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love you post and your Jack's Chain. Beautiful colors! I have 200 9 patches waiting. And you have provided the answer to assembling them into this quilt. Thank you! You don't know how very much I appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous... I love the movement in this design and your colours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...