Thursday, May 25, 2017

One Fish, Two Fish baby quilt

Thank goodness for quick and easy quilt patterns! I was on vacation the week before last when I received an invitation to a baby shower for a co-worker. My first opportunity to make a baby quilt happened last weekend, only 5 days before the shower! I knew I had to keep it simple, so I went with a strippy quilt-as-you-go pattern, based on the technique shown HERE.

One Fish, Two Fish baby quilt
38" x 41.5" finished size

It wasn't planned that way, but when I started pulling fabrics from my stash, I discovered that I had a group of fish prints that worked together very nicely. Even the binding fabric has tiny fish on it! That led to the name One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish for the quilt. I also ordered a copy of the Dr. Seuss book of the same name to include in the gift.


For the back I used a cute alphabet print with many of the same colors as the fish fabrics. 


Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the baby shower this afternoon because I have jury duty today. I left my gift with a friend to deliver to the shower--I need to send her a message to take photos of the mother-to-be holding it.

Julie in GA

Linking up to:  Needle & Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
                      Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
                      Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts
                      Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
                      Let's Make Baby Quilts at Michelle's Romantic Tangle
                      

12 comments:

  1. I am impressed. No way could I pull off an entire quilt from start to finish in only 5 days. It takes me 5 days to screw up enough courage to cut into my fabric!! And I love that you included the Dr. Seuss book with your gift. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so cute--what a speedy sewer you are...Have a great Memorial Day weekend...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and I love that you included the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! What a fun shower gift. Sorry you didn't get to go and see the mom to be open it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!!! The book to go with it makes the gift even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so great, such a useful, practical gift and the book is just a fabulous addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Julie,
    What a fun quilt. I love these happy, bright colors. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with a fast, easy quilt! Sometimes they work better than the fancy ones because people are not afraid to use them:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea for a quick quilt, and I love the backing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Collection of fish fabrics which will make some little someone very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ran into the same situation a month ago - a baby shower within a week and I did a girl strippy quilt with mermaid, octopus and sea horse material.
    Popped by from FIUF
    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...