Monday, January 22, 2018

Design Wall Monday 1/22/18

There have been several quilt projects in the works around here over the past few weeks. The biggest one is Bonnie Hunter's 2017 mystery "On Ringo Lake." As usual, Bonnie's design is made up of many, many small pieces. My plan has been to make a smaller version of the pattern with 32 blocks instead of Bonnie's 50 blocks. So far, I have completed 23 of the blocks. Here they are up on the design wall along with sashing units and cornerstones.


On Ringo Lake mystery quilt, design by Bonnie Hunter

I'm still playing with ideas for the setting triangles--you can see my first attempt up top, a variation on Bonnie's design. Actually, this was my second try at the same idea because the first one came out too small. I ended up drawing the shape for the red pieces out on graph paper, adding seam allowance, and cutting it out to use as a template.

Once I decide if anything up on the wall needs to move, I can start joining these blocks and sashing into rows. That will make it easier to take down off the design wall if necessary. I also need to figure out how many more flying geese, corner units and sashing chevrons are needed for my version. I will keep plugging away at it and hope to have the top together before the end of February.

I'm linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Check out all of them for tons of amazing quilting inspiration! 

Julie in GA

17 comments:

  1. Your color combination is one of the prettiest I've seen for this quilt. You're making good progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colors.
    I decided to work on my UFOs instead of making another one. LOL
    I also know I need to do the lap sized quilt of Bonnie's projects because the pieces are so small. Love her designs, just very complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, this is such a striking work and I'm envious of your skills to be able to do one of Bonnies qal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your colors are striking and the first I've seen that really emphasize the square formed by the sashing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Your colors are spot on! Just right! This will make a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still loving your color scheme and seeing it come together is amazing!! You have a great eye for color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect color choices.......... Looking forward to watching it grow......

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really lovely....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt looks really good in that colorway. I like seeing how people are changing up the pattern to suit their tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is going to be a striking quilt! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, you're one of the adventurous Ringo Lake color shifters! Looks good and love the red setting triangles! Using the Part 6 units in the setting triangles is a good idea, I like what it adds to the edge. I think your Feb finish line is very doable and keep the rest of us inspired to try to catch up with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your color combo! Almost makes me want to start another one, but I'm still not finished with the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your version of thew QAL is beautiful, the colors are very pleasing to me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your version turned out beautifully! I like your setting triangles. It will probably be awhile before I get to that point.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...