Monday, July 24, 2017

Design Wall Monday 7/24/17

Instead of finishing up one of the many on-going quilt projects in my sewing room, I couldn't resist pulling out my box of recycled shirt parts. A few years ago I was inspired by Kaffe Fassett's "Shirt Stripe Boxes" pattern in his book Passionate Patchwork. I was able to acquire a large number of shirts from rummage sales and thrift shops, and I set about de-constructing them similar to the method Bonnie Hunter demonstrates in THIS VIDEO.

I spent a large portion of the last two weekends fussy cutting stripes into triangles and piecing them back together again. These photos show only the first batch of blocks to be made. My blocks will finish at 3", 6", and 9". There's no telling how big the quilt will end up!

The first photo includes a couple of blocks with very dark blue triangles. I wasn't sure they would work with the rest of the lighter colors. When I compare the two photos, I definitely prefer the softness of the second version without the darker blocks. (My apologies for the lousy lighting.)



I have a couple hundred striped triangles sitting around my sewing room, just waiting to be pieced into more blocks. I love the look of the single-fabric blocks, but it's so much easier with two fabrics because I don't have to worry about matching stripes! I will continue to make both types of block.

I am linking up to Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt, and Moving It Forward at Em's Scrapbag. Check out all of them for tons of amazing quilting inspiration! 

Julie in GA

9 comments:

  1. These are great blocks! I just deconstructed a pile of shirts and really want to get going on something with the shirtings again. I might have to borrow your idea! The blocks in the second photo are so soothing and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like the second grouping too...the soft colors in the shirtings look so good together...this will bea lovely piece...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. They are inspiring me to collect my spouse"s shirts to do the same thing ( and maybe some thrift shopping like you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blocks are fantastic! I actually like the darker ones thrown in, and I think that when you have a whole quilt full of blocks and a few more dark ones in the mix you might like it better than you do now with just two of them. It's kind of unexpected, a little surprise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great optical illusion going on there! Are you hip deep in shirt parts? Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I need to start saving shirts for a similar project.😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really loving your striped blocks! What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun blocks. I like the second one with all the softer colors too. Have fun playing with all your deconstructed fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely love this. Great idea for my collection of 'worn and washed'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...