Sunday, February 21, 2016

Stash Report Sunday 2/21/16

Most of my quilting time over the past week was spent prepping and hand stitching blocks for one of my new projects, the Glorious Hexagons quilt. I have been having a great time playing with many of my older fabrics that were left from the days of making Stack & Whack quilts. It is such fun to fussy cut the prints and produce kaleidoscopic effects.


These hexagon blocks finish at 3" along the outside edges. One challenge I am facing is how to calculate my stash usage for the blocks. There is a wide range of number of pieces in each block, from only one piece up to 24. The blocks above have 6 pieces (right block) and 12 pieces (left.) For stash calculations, I decided to come up with an average amount of fabric used. I have a set of six triangles cut (like the pieces in the block on the right) that I laid out in a line and measured. The numbers added up to 1/4 yard used for every six blocks made. So far I have made 15 blocks, which comes out to 5/8 yard used.

I also used 3/8 yard making more 9-patch blocks for my Ring Cycles quilt.

STASH TOTALS: 
Used this week:               1.0 yards     
Used year to date:      14.375 yards

Stashed this week:              0 yards
Stashed year to date:    10.25 yards 

 Net year to date:     4.125 yards used


I am joining Kate at Life in Pieces in tracking the number of days each week that I spend at least 15 minutes quilting. The more days  I quilt, the more quilts I can get done and the more fabric used. 

15 Minute Challenge:  
February 14 - 20          7 for 7 days
February total            18 for 20 days


350 Block Challenge at Prairie Moon Quilts:
This week's block total:    38

Check out more design walls at Patchwork Times.  

Julie in GA

3 comments:

  1. Very nice blocks. Can't wait until you get enough for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks + you get to practice math skills lol hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blocks. Love the fabrics that you are using.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...