Monday, February 1, 2016

Nine-Patch Monday

My latest quilting obsession has been the humble nine-patch. One of my chosen projects for the 2016 Rainbow Scrap Challenge is the amazing pattern "Ring Cycles" by Lessa Siegele. Here is my favorite version from her quilt pattern.


Ring Cycles" by Lessa Siegele, available from Craftsy

My version of the quilt will be a reversal of the colors above, a light background with blocks in blues, teals, greens and purples. I found a great background fabric, Chromadots from Blank Quilting. I knew I didn't want a solid background, but it couldn't be too distracting either. Here's the background with some of the first few blue blocks.



So far I have made about 140 blocks, approximately half of what is needed for the quilt. I couldn't resist putting a batch of blocks up on the wall to see how the design is coming together. It's so exciting to see the rings begin to show up (even though this doesn't include the background fabric except in the 9P blocks.)



I will be sharing with the following linky parties.:

Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Scraptastic Tuesday at Mrs Sew and Sow
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Julie in GA

22 comments:

  1. This is going to be such a gorgeous quilt! But it certainly takes a lot of 9 patches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That may end up on my to do list. What size are those nine patches?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt has been on my list, too. Yours is going to be gorgeous in the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking super! Makes me want to dig out my Jack's Chain -- almost; think I'll just admire your variation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many projects going...must resist adding this to my current to-do list. So pretty in blue and white, I'm thinking of indigos... must resist temptation. I will book mark the pattern though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS amazing. I'm chicken to even try a Jack's Chain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is spectacular Julie. Now I want to make one with all my 9 patch blocks too!! only, I put them together into little baby quilts so I could free up a space in my sewing room. Maybe in my next life! I love the way the colors just sparkle in those circles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your version of this pattern! Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! Great progress -- can't wait to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is a fabulous pattern. And, actually, I like the secondary design that came up with the white of your design wall. Please keep us informed as you get to the harder parts of this quilt. It is going to be stunning. (Just curious -- what size quilts are included with the pattern?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I really like it! It seems to be a variation of a Jack's Chain pattern, which I've done before. It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so gorgeous! I'm another who's finding it hard to resist the temptation of following your lead...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so amazing! I'm so curious to see what kind of blocks you have to make to fill in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously cool - didn't know nine patch could be that interesting! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that's amazing. Love the background fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a preview on the design wall too! Keep going it is looking great! Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very stunning quilt so far. I bet you are having fun making it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I love it--and not just because it's blue--lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sure looks fantastic! A great scrap buster too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, such a great version, very effective! and that's a lotta 9patches!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...