Monday, February 22, 2016

Design Wall Monday

The quilt that has been filling most of my quilting time lately is the Glorious Hexagons quilt. This is a new block of the month group at a local quilt shop. The blocks in the quilt are English paper pieced using patterns from the book The New Hexagon by Katja Marek. Each month we receive the pre-cut paper pieces to make 28 blocks--that's one block almost every day! Here is one of the inspiration quilts.

Glorious Hexagons by Liza Prior Lucy





Garden Hexagons
by Liza Prior Lucy


Liza's quilt measures 90" square and has 247 blocks in it. The fabrics she used are all from the Kaffe Fassett Collective.The hexagon blocks all finish at 3" along each side. The number of pieces in each block vary from one to 24. I started out doing traditional EPP for my first couple of blocks, and quickly realized that I will never be able to hand stitch quickly enough to finish 28 blocks each month.



This is my first batch of blocks. I'm thinking that the one near the bottom with the red triangle might be too dark to fit in with the rest, but I will wait and see what else joins the collection. So far I have made four blocks with EPP. Four of the other blocks are each cut from a single fabric. Instead of doing all the blocks with English paper piecing, I have been machine piecing some of the easier blocks. I even found a couple of leftover Stack & Whack blocks from old projects that have been cut down to match the size of the rest of the blocks. I hope to figure out a way to join my hexagon blocks together by machine too.

I am sharing my hexagons with Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times and Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt.



Julie in GA

9 comments:

  1. Do what you need to do! Piecing should relieve stress not create stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so striking!!! I love a hexie! The mix of colors is good, add more darks to save it being all mediums. Like the idea of using some whole hexies with old blocks. Leeanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how quilters adapt patterns to their own style. You have a wonderful start to a beautiful quilt.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is this! I couldn't imagine doing all those blocks by hand either. Keep us informed on what works for you! Who knows, someone might want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful group of blocks! I really like the single fabric blocks mixed in with the paper pieced blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow ~ these are beautiful! I love your mix of pieced and single-fabric hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! But if it's stressing you out, you should just machine piece. There are no rules, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!! love your fabric choice. Just do a little everyday, it will be worth it when it's all done :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in LOVE with this design. Your fabric choices look luscious!! Looking forward to seeing the progress each month!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...