Monday, December 7, 2015

Allietare Mystery Link-Up



Bonnie Hunter is world famous for her scrappy quilts, and every year she conducts a mystery quilt-along beginning the day after Thanksgiving. I have done one of her previous mysteries, and was undecided about whether I would participate this year until I saw her fabric palette. I always prefer to go my own direction on fabrics/colors rather than copying the designer's choices, but this can be quite nerve wracking on a mystery quilt.

Bonnie's colors for this year's mystery "Allietare" are deep red, gold, black, grey, and light neutrals. I realized that it would work nicely to switch out just a couple of those colors to turn it into a patriotic palette for a Quilt of Valor. Where Bonnie is using grey, I am substituting light blue, and I will use deep blue instead of her black. The red, gold, and lights will remain in my version.Here is my inspiration fabric.



I got a late start on the first step due to being out of town over Thanksgiving. My plan is to make 1/2 - 2/3 as many units as Bonnie's instructions call for to make a large throw size. I have about 140 HSTs finished from Step 1, and have just started on Step 2.




I will be sharing with the following linky parties.:

Allietare Mystery Link-Up at Quiltville
Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times
Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt


Julie in GA

10 comments:

  1. Looks great! Thanks for the link back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I love a good beginning! Your quilt will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start! It's hard to resist Bonnie's mysteries once you have done one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making great progress. I look forward to watching you work on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your color palette's not far off from mine. Looking forward to seeing your version come together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...