Monday, June 8, 2015

Design Wall Monday 6/8/15

There's no design wall for me to show today, but I do have parts of a new project to show. My sister and I have been given the task of sorting through the many fabric scraps that have been accumulating at our mother's house for over 50 years. It has been so much fun looking at the many fabrics and trying to figure out what they were used for.

We looked around online for scrappy ideas, and decided to try a casual, improvisational style of piecing. We were especially inspired by Amanda Jean's "Scrap Vortex" quilt and by Kelly's Improv Piecing tutorial.



Yesterday we started with a laundry basket stuffed full of fabric scraps. Don't you love that 70's hot pink and bright green plaid (and it's a seersucker-like texture!) The fabrics had all been rolled up into little bundles, so it took lots of pressing to get rid of the wrinkles. Then we started slicing them into strips of a variety of widths ranging from about 1.5 to 3.5 inches. 



The strips got stitched together, trimmed down, more strips added, etc. Here are a few chunks of piecing, ready for the next strips to be added. We got a couple of blocks finished yesterday, but I didn't get a photo of them yet.


There's still a mountain of fabric that hasn't even been pressed or cut yet. It's time for me to get to work on making a dent in that pile of scraps!

I am linking up to Design Wall Monday at Patchwork Times, where you can see all sorts of amazing quilting inspiration! I am also linking up to Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt.


Julie in GA

5 comments:

  1. Love this!! Oh, such scrappy goodness!! And good for you. I'm working on my scrap piles, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks like fun! I need to work on my scraps so maybe your creations will inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those scraps! I remember that type of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of pretty scraps in those blocks. Looking forward to seeing how these all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lot of work but how creative! These blocks will make into a lovely scrap quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...